terça-feira, 22 de março de 2022

 DICK DAVIS


WEST SOUTH WEST

Since I was born in Portsmouth, west south west
Would mean the Solent, then the open sea:
A child let loose on Nelson's Victory
I fantasized his last quixotic quest,
Trafalgar's carnage - where he coolly dressed
As gaudily as if he wished to be
The natural target for an enemy,
And willed the bullets to his medalled chest.

Hardly a gesture I could emulate.
My west south west was more a stealthy game
To be elsewhere, escape, rewrite my fate
As one who got away. But all the same
I find I walk the shattered desk and wait
For when the marksmen see me, and take aim.


                   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


OESTE SUDOESTE

Pois que nasci em Portsmouth, oeste sudoeste
Significava o Solent, depois o mar alto:
Uma criança à solta na Vitória de Nelson
Fantasiava a sua última expedição quixotesca,
A carnificina de Trafalgar - elegantemente vestido,
Tão pomposo como se desejasse ser,
O alvo natural para um inimigo
E atrair as balas para o peito medalhado.

Um gesto que eu dificilmente imitaria.
O meu oeste sudoeste era um jogo mais furtivo
De estar noutra parte, fugir, re-escrever o meu destino
Como alguém que partiu. Mas mesmo assim
Julgo caminhar pelo convés destroçado, à espera
De que os atiradores me vejam, e apontem.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

  FRANK O'HARA PISTACHIO TREE AT CHATEAU NOIR Beaucoup de musique classique et moderne Guillaume and not as one may imagine it sounds no...